Monday, July 20, 2009

My Mom...


My mom was an excellent cook. She didn't make any fancy food just plain food. The kind we now call comfort food. I remember watching her and Busia (Polish Grandmother) make homemade bread and chicken and noodles. Those are my comfort foods. There is nothing like a piece of homemade bread and a cup of coffee in the morning. Then curl up on the couch to watch the news! When I was little we would go up to Wisconsin and visit family. My cousin and I would come down those stairs and smell that bread and it was like heaven. So when I get that longing feeling I'll bake some bread and think of my family. Yes, I do bake bread from scratch in the RV. No, I don't use a bread machine. It's just not the same. It's not something you do all the time but it can be done. Back to Mom's food, all of those polish dishes are great. The sausage, dumplings, perogi's, sauerkraut, etc. Watching Mom and Busia make sausage was really something. Grandpa had made Busia a sausage stuffing machine and it was a family treasure. We all need to bring our ethnic heritage into our cooking. My husband loves kuglis which is a Lithuanian grated potatoe dish. I like to make this because we do it together. He hand grates the potatoes and I cook the bacon and onions and add all the other ingredients. I have been out of the RV for a week, staying at our daughter's while they are out of town. The last meal I made in the RV was chicken and broccoli stir fry. It has been in the 100's so I don't think I'll be cooking today.

1 comment: