Saturday, July 25, 2009

Just another day in paradise...


You know it is just another day in paradise here in California. The weather was perfect yesterday and will be the same today. No rain, it doesn't rain in California in the summertime!! I have added a picture of Oliver since I'm sure I'll be talking about him alot! I seem to be getting new plugs on my appliances because of Oliver. He is a cute puppy who loves to chew.
I spent my day cleaning and sewing. I went through the bathroom cupboards and disguarded lots of out of date medicine. Luckily, we don't take much medicine but those things like motrin and cough medicines have all expired and there were almost full bottles. One expired in 2003! Well, at least the bathroom is clean.
I am making aprons for a shrimp feed dinner we are working the end of August. My next sewing project will be a sweatshirt.
Today is a good day to make a cherry pie. I have some canned cherries so why not. Cooking the cherry juice with sugar and cornstarch is about the hardest part of it. I do add a couple drops of red food coloring to the cherry mixture just to give it a little color. Rolling out the pie crust isn't too bad. To cut a design in the top crust, I use minature cookie cutters that Jessica gave me. I brush the top crust with milk and then sprinkle it lightly with sugar. We don't like a heavy sugary crust. Just keep it simple. Way back in the stone ages I baked a cherry pie and won a blue ribbon. That's when I was in high school. Those home economics classes sure have helped. I remember one of the first things we learned to make was popovers! I have never made them since...don't know why. Maybe I should give them a try again.
We had chinese last night for dinner so we will be eating up the leftovers tonight.
Once I finish the pie, I will sit outside with our puppy, Oliver and read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment